Pages

2014/08/02

Persimmons (Haiku Shuukan #16)

I never heard of Persimmons before until this prompt.
Shiki apparently was also fond of Persimmons:

sanzen no haiku wo kemishi kaki futatsu

having examined
three thousand haiku poems –
two persimmons
© Shiki (1897)

kaki bakari narabeshi Suma no komise kara

displaying
only persimmons --
small store in Suma
© Shiki (1895)

After reading Georgia’s offering to this prompt, I was interested in reading her post. What a joy to read and see the photos she added of these fruit trees that grow in northern Italy as well as in Japan. Chèvrefeuille has certainly given us a challenging prompt.

At first I thought of not being capable of writing anything but Georgia’s lovely introduction describing Italy’s fruit trees and how these fruits do not conserve as well as our apples , I am piggybacking a bit on her story (hope that’s okay, Cara) and her photos that inspired me to write this:

Persimmons
over abundance of fruit
rot on lawns
 
rot on lawns
birds fill their bellies
Persimmons fruit
 
Persimmons fruit
gaudy orangey red
savour the sweetness
 
© Tournesol 2014/08/02
 

4 comments:

  1. Really liked this!
    I imagine the smell of the persimmons would be overpowering wouldn't it? But quite a feast for the bees and birds, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, so glad you liked it. Would also be good for insects...well everyone would have a feast.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes we must enjoy the fruits only in their season...

    This is lovely and reminds me of this piece that I wrote:
    https://julesgemstonepages.wordpress.com/2014/06/19/a-haibun-a-litter-of-plums/

    Which I wrote when visiting California in June. I wonder why the fruit doesn't preserve well... I'll have to go look and see Georgia's post again.

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and comments soothe the soul and my eyes smile, thank you!
Vos visites et commentaires apaise l'âme et mes yeux rigolent, merci!